Last Friday we were on the front lines of Art Fair Survival Kit Handout and preparing to for the Hot Shot opening, so didn't get to check in here at the Week in Review. But, we're back today with two weeks in review, so read on to get the latest:
Hey, Hot Shot! at Jen Bekman Gallery
Last Friday marked the opening of the latest Hey, Hot Shot! Exhibition at Jen Bekman Gallery. The opening was a hit, with all five of this round's Hot Shots in attendance. Elizabeth Leitzell took a set of great photos both of people at the opening and the show installation. With such a diverse group of work, we were biting our nails here at HQ about how all the different bodies of work would play off of each other in the tiny space that is our gallery, but are thrilled with how the exhibit looks!
Hot Shots Alejandro Cartagena and Ben Roberts have been named to PDN's top 30 under 30. "We salute these 30 individuals who are helping to define what being a photographer means today, " writes editor Conor Risch.
31 Women in Art Photography opened last weekend in New York, and includes Rachel Sussman and Jessica Eaton, and 20x200 artists Emily Shur and Paula McCartney among other incredible photographers. Check out our writeup of Rachel Sussman's Oldest Living Things series and then swing by the show to see the work in person!
Hot Shot News
- This week we had the joy of releasing a dreamy new 20x200 edition titled Paris by Summer 2007 Hot Shot Gregory Krum (right), who will be having a solo show this May at Jen Bekman Gallery.
- Nina Berman is lauded by TIME Magazine for her "tender but unflinching" work in the 2010 Whitney Biennial.
- Aperture is having a party and you're invited! Jen Bekman is co-chairing this year's SNAP! OUT OF WINTER party, so you'll find many of us from Team JBP there on March 19th for drinks, desserts, and plenty of instant memories thanks to a Polaroid photo booth! Tickets are still available at a variety of price points.
- Lay Flat 02: Meta, featuring Jessica Eaton, Penelope Umbrico, and an essay by HHS! panelist Lesley A. Martin is now available to order.
- Tema Stauffer has curated online show titled Inside Out at culturehall, including Fall 2006 Hot Shot Juliana Beasley.
- EXPOSED: Critical Mass 2009, an exhibition juried by Andy Adams of Flak Photo opened last week in Seattle. The show features work by Hot Shots Alejandro Cartagena, Brad Moore, Kate Orne and Birthe Piontek.
- Getting published is one thing. Getting published with an introduction to your book written by William Eggleston is a whole other realm of awesome. Eggleston will be judging of this year's rigorous First Book Prize in Photography, opening for entries on June 15, 2010. Maybe you've got a shot?
That's all for now, photographer friends. See anything we missed? Reply to @heyhotshot on Twitter and let us know!